I feel like I just posted my August Favorites, and now I’m already posting September’s, which is crazy to me! But, of course, I still had plenty of favorite things this month. Read on to see what I loved!
WoodWick Fireside Ellipse Candle (on sale as of posting for $20.99)
Okay, if you’ve been reading my blog, you know I’m sort of obsessed with candles right now. I recently went to Yankee Candle to check out their four new winter scents, and the display at the front of the store was of Yankee Candle’s WoodWick brand. The wick (called Hearthwick) is a long piece of wood that crackles when it’s lit and kind of evokes a fireplace with dancing flames. This scent smells gorgeous, and I just love how it looks when it’s lit. The crackling is very subtle, but you can definitely hear it if you’re near the candle. The store was selling a special design for the jar that I couldn’t find on the website, but it may be there somewhere. This might take the prize for the prettiest and most fun candle I’ve ever owned!
I’ll be posting a Snow’ella haul soon, but for now, I just have to talk about this bubble bath. The Snow’ella scent is so good, and the bubble bath comes in the prettiest bottle and makes lots of lovely bubbles. Taking a bath with this feels like such a luxurious treat! And seriously… This. Scent. Is. Amazing. It’s a bargain as it is, but with the current exchange rate, it’s only about $13.50, which is such a great deal for the amount of product you get!
Nars Velvet Lip Glide in Bound ($26.00)
I received this in my Sephora Play! Box a little while back, but just recently started wearing it. Once I figured out how much of the product to get on the brush (just pulling out the brush makes there be way too much product), it was easy to apply. It didn’t dry out my lips, and the color lasted a surprisingly long time, even through drinking and eating. I love the color as well!
This short-sleeved sweater is so soft and cozy, and is the perfect piece for transitioning into fall, especially here in Seattle where Mother Nature can’t quite decide if she wants it to be 60 degrees or 80 degrees outside. I’m loving the faux pearl trend that’s happening right now, and I feel like this is a great thing to wear to make the most of the trend without going overboard. I also love that it can be dressed up into a nicer look, or dressed down into a more everyday look.
I went into DSW searching for a pair of booties, and they didn’t disappoint! There were a ton I wanted to get, but I ended up going for these Dolce Vita Karsen booties. The heel is low enough to keep them from being horribly uncomfortable, and the perforated suede adds a nice touch and keeps them from making your feet too hot. They’re super flattering with cropped jeans as well!
Free People Denim Jacket with Pearls ($148.00)
I’m past my Free People phase, so I might not have noticed this jacket had it not been on two (yes, two!) mannequins at Nordstrom. As I said before, I’m so into the faux pearl trend right now, so I had to pick this up. It runs very large, so if you’re interested, I’d recommend going down one size for a still very oversized fit, or even down two sizes. It’s so soft and comfy, and gives me an 80s/90s vibe, which I love!
For the past few years, I’ve been loving all things cabernet-colored, so when I saw this bag on a mannequin at Nordstrom, I couldn’t resist getting it. In fact, it was the last one in the store, so I had to take it off the mannequin, which is such a last resort thing for me to do. It feels so much more expensive than what it costs, and is a perfect size. The adjustable strap is great as well.
I can’t even choose one show to include here, because I’m so excited for fall premieres in general! Some of my faves so far:
- This is Us
- I’m pretty sure my heart was ripped out at the end of the season 2 premiere.
- How to Get Away with Murder
- SHE KNOWS WHO KILLED THAT PERSON WHO WAS KILLED LAST SEASON! BUT THE CLIFFHANGER ENDING! ANOTHER HEART-RIPPING MOMENT. Yes, that did require all caps. This show usually does.
- MTV Challenge: Dirty 30
- This started a little while ago, but I always love The Challenge. So dramatic, as always!
- The Good Place
- I was worried season 2 wouldn’t be able to measure up to season 1, but so far so good! …no pun intended.
- The Mick
- One of those crazy yet hilarious shows that’s also living up to season 1, in my opinion.
- Law & Order True Crime: The Menendez Murders
- I wasn’t sure if this would be great or if it would veer too far into Lifetime movie territory, but with Edie Falco in the cast, I was hoping for the prior. It definitely exceeded my expectations!
- Great News
- Tina Fey. Need I say more?
- Hilarious as usual. I’m totally Team Amy and Jonah, by the way. But honestly, who isn’t?!
- So Sharp
- I’m 99% sure this show is cancelled since Lifetime did their typical episode run-off thing they do for low-rated shows, but I loved it. I didn’t know it even existed until about four episodes in (seriously, Lifetime, promote your shows better), but I binged those episodes and was hooked. There’s lots of drama, amazing dancing, and Todd Sharp is just flat-out hilarious.
How to Be a Bawse by Lilly Singh ($16.21 on Amazon)
I’ve been super into motivational books lately – as long as they’re not preachy. This one is basically perfect. Even if you haven’t seen Lilly’s YouTube videos, I think this is a great read for anyone. I personally read some of it and listened to the audiobook version for the rest, and I loved hearing Lilly’s way of reading it on the audiobook. There’s some great advice in here and some inspirational stories as well!
Aftercare Instructions by Bonnie Pipkin ($10.65 on Amazon)
Some of my favorite books are those that are at least partly written in an alternate format. This one has a four act play within the novel, providing a present-day story with a play describing what happened in the past. The story is about a girl named Genesis whose boyfriend, Peter, abandons her at Planned Parenthood while she’s having an abortion. What could have been a preachy (obviously preachy books aren’t my favorite) or depressing novel ended up being both heart-warming and, at times, heart-wrenching. I absolutely loved it.
- American Assassin (now in theaters)
- How incredible is Dylan O’Brien?! I thought the movie would have been great regardless, but Dylan really made it special. I’m definitely hoping for a sequel! Added bonus: Taylor Kitsch, aka so many people’s (myself included) TV crush, Tim Riggins, is also in it. And is it just me or do Dylan and Taylor look like they could be brothers?
- The Big Sick (available to rent or purchase on iTunes, VOD, and DVD/Blu-ray)
- I love movies that make me feel a bunch of different emotions. This made me laugh, tear up, and laugh again. It warmed my heart, broke it, and put it back together. The fact that it’s based on Kumail Nanjiani’s relationship with his wife made it even more impactful. I absolutely adored this movie and definitely recommend it.
That wraps up my September Favorites! What were you guys loving this month? Let me know in the comments!